Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Hanging in Hangzhou



Today we received our "red book" from Civil Affairs. From what I understand, this is basically the document from the province that approves us to adopt. There's actually a little ceremony when you receive it, the director comes out and reads the proclamation from the red book ... very cool, very official :)

we drove around the West Lake today, which is absolutely gorgeous. Tomorrow it is supposed to be a little warmer, so we'll actual get to walk around it then. For my Maryland friends, this place puts Centennial to shame. We've also been exploring the city a little on our own. I had no idea how modern it would be! It's like a mini New York. Lots of upscale shops and department stores, restaurants etc. We took Julia for baby's first Starbucks today :)

She is doing fantastic. We got her to smile and even play a little game with us ... evidently it is extremely amusing to hand each other toys back and forth while saying "Thank You!" She has an appetite not to be believed. I did get yelled at by one of the Chinese ladies on the street because her pant leg came up and there was about one inch of exposed leg :)

She's cooing away in her crib right now, guess that means she doesn't want that nap after all!

Note to Deb: The officials we buy gifts for are women, not men as GW said, so you may want to get them something a little more appropriate than the Zippo and Marlboros I gave them :)

Julie: I hope Ryan is feeling better!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just cracked up at your note for Deb! How funny about the cigarettes and zippos! Julia looks like she is doing so well!
A first smile already! How wonderful! It's a beautiful first family portrait! How are the clothes you brought for her fitting? Take Care Cortney

Anonymous said...

Let me tell you Deb is VERY appreciative of all the tips you keep sending my way! Packing frenzy there. I'm going to need those leisurely walks around the lake! Wonderful family portrait. Love hearing about all the "firsts"! Deb

Anonymous said...

Ok, I meant to say, packing frenzy here. I think I might need an adult beverage here soon! Deb

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having a great time getting to know each other. Alas, I was hoping to be a part of Baby's First Starbucks. But hey, I'll settle for Baby's First Pizza Buffet. Or if I must, I will sacrifice to be a part of Baby's First Trip To King Of Prussia. LOL! See you guys next week... we miss you so much and can't wait to meet Julia! All my love, Julie